Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 2 in the Hospital and Happy Birthday to Jason

I first want to start out by wishing Jason a VERY happy birthday. He has been so great throughout this entire pregnancy. He has taken such good care of me and the babies and I could not ask for a better husband. The babies will be so lucky to have such a sweet and caring daddy.

All was going SO good until about 9pm last night. I started having contractions that were 2 to 3 minutes apart. The nurse gave me a pill called Ventolin which actually completely stopped the contractions. The medication has a lot of side effects. It increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure, causes nausea and dizziness. SO needless to say, I only slept for a hour and a half last night. I have had a few contractions today, but nothing to be worried about.

Today a Neonatologist came to my room to talk to me. He told me a lot of GREAT information about what to expect when babies are born premature. He said that they will not be going home until they are 36 to 37 weeks gestational no matter how big they are when they are born. He said that a baby born at 34 weeks is developmentally NOT ready to go home and need some time to develop more in the NICU. At 34 weeks a babies brain is not developed enough to remind them to breath when they are asleep. Also, their cheak muscles are not developed and causes them to have problems sucking which in turn causes feeding problems. Also they have not learned how to breath and eat at the same time. I was told by the Neo doctor that these are all just developmental issues and that as they have time to grow in the NICU with proper care that by 36 to 37 weeks all of the babies will be ready to go home with us. It made me feel SO much better to learn all of this information so that we will know what lies ahead once the boys are born. He also said that there is a chance that may not have any of these problems and they may be perfectally fine, but again they will NOT go home until they are at least 36 week gestational. I just had to share this information with you because it was really interesting to hear the dr tell me all of this stuff.

I have never been surrounded by such nice people in a hospital. ALL of the nurses that I have had so far are AWESOME!! I am so happy that I chose to have my babies at The Woman's Hospital of Texas. I know that my babies and myself will be very well taken care of.

No comments:

Post a Comment