Wednesday, July 8, 2009

It has been one crazy week. I feel like I pretty much live at the hospital. I am there everyday for at least three of their feedings, so that means I get there around 10:30 am and stay until 8:00 pm or later. But I really enjoy spending time with the babies as well as the nurses. ALL of the nurses that I have met so far at Woman's Hospital are AMAZING!!! I can't begin to tell you how great they have been to me and how well they take care of my baby boys. It is a great feeling to know that I can leave the hospital to go home without worrying about the boys. It is hard enough that they have to be there and cannot come home. There are a few nurses that will call me when I am not there just to tell me about something one of the babies did. For example, one nurse was so excited that Cooper drank his bottle in 11 min. that she called to tell me about it. They are super sweet and I am SO happy that I chose to have my babies at this hospital.

The boys are getting stronger everyday. They have made SO much progress since they were born. They gave us a few scares, but have overcome each obstacle that they had to face. Aiden has caught up to his twin Landon and all of the babies except for Aiden have passed up their birth weights. Aiden only has .5 oz to get to his birth weight so he is not to far behind.

Aiden - NOW....... 4 lbs 3.5 oz......................... 4 lbs. 4 oz. at birth
Landon - NOW..... 4 lbs 3.2 oz...................... 4 lbs. 1 oz. at birth
Cooper - NOW.......4 lbs 10.3 oz.................... 4 lbs. 9 oz. at birth

Last night Jason and I had to get trained in infant CPR and today we had a training on how to work the apnea monitors since all of the babies will come home with one. Cooper and Landon both had two episodes on Monday, July 6th. Aiden has not had an episode since July 1st. For those of you who are not familiar with apnea in premature babies here is a little bit about it.

**Apnea of prematurity (AOP) is fairly common in preemies. Doctors usually diagnose the condition before the mother and baby are discharged from the hospital, and the apnea usually goes away on its own as the infant matures. Once apnea of prematurity goes away, it does not come back. But no doubt about it — it's frightening while it's happening. Apnea is a medical term that means a baby has stopped breathing. Most experts define apnea of prematurity as a condition in which premature infants stop breathing for 15 to 20 seconds during sleep. Babies who are born at less than 35 weeks' gestation (the Peacock Triplets were born at 33 weeks gestation) have periods when they stop breathing or their heart rates drop. These breathing abnormalities may begin after 2 days of life and last for up to 2 to 3 months after the birth. The lower the infant's weight and level of prematurity at birth, the more likely he or she will have AOP.


Since Cooper is so close to coming home they did the hearing test on him today and he passed!!!! He is now out of the isolette and is in an open crib. He is maintaining his body temp which is a huge improvement for him. We are keeping our fingers crossed that he can continue to maintain his body temp and not have any more apnea episodes so that he can come home on Monday. If he gets too cold, they will have to put him back into the isolette. If he has another episode where he stops breathing then we will have to wait for at least five days from his last episode before he can come home. Please keep all of the babies in your prayers.

I know that I have already said this in a previous blog, but again I want to thank all of you for your calls, emails, texts, prayers and thoughts for us. The support had been amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment